Thursday, 18 September 2014

Initial Impressions of Comp Sci 165

    CSC165 has turned out to be a solid choice for a first year class. It's a good complimentary class to MAT137 and combined with the 1st year programming courses is creating a sturdy base from which I can go into game development. My name is Jeffery Walsh and as you may be suspecting I am a first year student at the University of Toronto studying Computer Science and hoping to specialize in Game Development. 

    The reason I said that CSC165 compliments MAT137 is in our first in the courses we have roughly been studying the same content. The main difference is that CSC165 has gone into much more depth on sets while the MAT137 class moved onto proofs. However sets and the symbols associated with sets are used in proofs as well and the fact that I struggle with memorizing math terminology and symbols proves useful as I essentially have two classes strengthening my weak points. On the other side of the coin CSC165 and my programming classes are jointly building my gave development abilities. This semester I'm taking CSC108 and it is teaching me how to code, but it really has delved into logic yet, but CSC165 is able to fill that gap. 

    I initially found the logic venn diagrams to be a bit frustrating and confusing, part of that confusion was due to the fact that our T.A. at the tutorial had a different handout sheet then we did. When it came to the actual quiz it was all crystal clear, I just needed to be take my time and think through it carefully. Logic isn't something that should be rushed.

    Overall my first 3 weeks at the University of Toronto have been a very sharp contrast to my old life in small time Toronto. The amount of cultural contained inside Toronto, and even the sheer size of Toronto have been an overwhelming, but enjoyable experience

.

No comments:

Post a Comment